Resell or redistribution of my book/ebook is violated my copyright.
Please leave me positive feedback if you can, so my listing will reach more eBayers in "best match".

2010/02/10

My Story

I was one of the victims of the scam. I was shopping in EBay after Black Friday long weekend for Xmas gift and found flash drive was so cheap. 32GB flash drive was only around $15 dollar. I was tempted to get one to backup my office data. I was bidding left and right for several days to get a good price. After I got one, I kept bidding to get few of them (bidding is fun but it could become addicted :-))


After 2-3 weeks, I received my first 32GB flash drive. I plugged it into my computer and then checked its property. It showed only 22GB. It alerted me to check the possibility of fake flash drive. After googgle it, there were many web sites discussed it.



After many hours of researched, trial and error, I was able to determine that my flash drive was fake, and it had only 4GB. I contacted my sellers. I told the seller what I observed. I asked him for replacement or refund. The seller asked me to ship it back. I insisted the seller to pay for shipping fee. After back and forth negotiation, the seller finally asked me to provide positive feedback, then he would refund my money. I told him another way, I asked him to refund my money and I would not leave negative feedback.


Above story is one of the reasons that many sellers have very high EBay feedback rating even though they sell fake (counterfeit) product. They sell few thousand fake memory sticks per month, only small percentage people discover it, they still make lot of money. They do not mind to refund your money as long as you do not provide negative feedback to alert others.


It was long Xmas week, my company was shut down during that period. So, I have long week to research on this topic. I found out the scam was occurred since 2007 but no one alerted the buyers. Therefore, I decided to post fake flash drive scam listing in EBay.


After many weeks of hard work, I finally put together a solution that works, and continue to polish it to fix all kind of errors. If you have computer background and want to conduct the research yourself, you shall install anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-trojan software first, you will hit into lot of pumps.

No comments: